Family life is more pressured than ever. Weekends can be opportunity for families to spend precious time together but are often busy. Church is about building a community so valuing family life and choosing the right time for services is important.
– Think about the places and responsibilities families have at the weekend. Often there are demands such as sports groups, shopping, visiting family and friends.
– Is there anything that particularly happens in your local community which you can avoid clashing with?
-Think about how best you can meet the needs of families and provide a warm and welcoming reception to encourage them to become part of church life. A 9.30am service in a cold church on a Sunday morning may be less than appealing, so consider meeting at an alternative time e.g. Sunday afternoon with a community supper afterwards. Maybe have a different time in the summer when families want to be out during the day.
– Regularly invite local families to come to the church.
– Keep families updated with a programme of what the church is doing/running.
– Personally welcome new families who attend and follow up with them. You may like to send them a card and invite them back to something else at the church. Make a point of praying for them.