DAC (Church buildings committee)
The DAC is a statutory committee which provides advice to parishes, the Diocesan Chancellor and the Archdeacons, in relation to church buildings, their contents and churchyards.
The duties of the committee and its constitution are governed by the current Faculty Jurisdiction Measure and Rules. Faculty jurisdiction is more than two centuries old but it became more regulated by Government during the 20th century. The current Rules are a comprehensive and the operation of faculty and the role of the DAC are well defined.
Members of the DAC are appointed for their knowledge and expertise in the care and use of places of worship. They include clergy and laity from across the Diocese and nominees from English Heritage, the National Amenity Societies and local authority. The DAC is also supported in its work by a number of specialist consultants.
The committee plays an important role in advising on faculty matters, when its formal advice is required by the Diocesan Chancellor, and on proposals which may lead to applications for faculty at a later stage, when informal advice is offered to parishes. It is important to remember that the DAC only acts in an advisory capacity; the final decision about a faculty petition (application) is made by the Diocesan Chancellor, although in certain defined areas an Archdeacon’s faculty will be granted.
DAC advice may also be sought by the Archdeacons or Diocesan Chancellor about other works which do not require a faculty.
- Chair: Mr Alan Kefford
- Vice Chair: Mr Andrew Barnes
- Archdeacon of Norwich
- Archdeacon of Norfolk
- Archdeacon of Lynn
- Mr Neil Birdsall
- Mr David Eve
- The Revd Canon Nicholas Garrard
- Mr Stephen Heywood
- The Revd Canon Christopher Ivory
- Mr Mark Lusher
- The Revd Canon Stuart Nairn
- The Revd Tony Redman
- Mr Hugh Richmond
- Mr Nigel Sunter
- Mr Iain Walker
- Dr Susanna Wade-Martins
- Executive Officer (DAC Secretary) for the Care and Development of Church Buildings
Matthew McDade – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01603 882350
- Church Development Officer (& Assistant DAC Secretary)
Caroline Rawlings – Email: email@example.com Tel: 01603 882351
- DAC Administrators (part-time)
Margaret Mallett – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01603 882359
Marleen Madinda – Email: email@example.com Tel: 01603 882332
DAC Meeting Dates 2020
- 27 February (closing date 14 February)
- 2 April (closing date 20 March)
- 7 May (closing date 24 April)
- 11 June (closing date 29 May)
- 16 July (closing date 3 July)
- 10 September (closing date 28 August)
- 22 October (closing date 9 October)
- 3 December (closing date 20 November)
Documents and downloads
Committee members can download documents through the secure area of the website.
Click here to log in and view available files.