St Georges Tombland celebrates restoration
26 February 2019
On Sunday 17 February St George Tombland celebrated the completion of another phase of its £200,000 restoration. The work involved repairing or replacing the steps up the church tower and also opening up the north porch entrance.
The Dean of Norwich, the Very Revd Jane Hedges presided and preached at the service of Holy Communion and afterwards joined in the celebration party.
Churchwarden John Brydon said:
“We were delighted to welcome the Dean, as it was from the then St George’s church tower in 1272 that a number of rioting citizens launched fiery missiles at the great belfry situated beyond the cathedral choir and succeeded in burning it down. Happily, in the intervening years relations have improved!
“The north porch, opening onto Tombland Alley, was originally the main entrance into the church but was sealed many years ago. The stonework has been repaired and two splendid new doors installed. Its reopening not only provides easy disabled access, but also means we can use the lawn area in warmer weather when concerts or talks take place at the church.
“We are very grateful to the Heritage Lottery Fund who have supported us with grants of £145,000 towards the cost of £200,000, with further donations and funding coming from a variety of sources including the Friends of St George.”
Pictured is the blessing the new doors, from the left, Ashley Banester of Phoenix Builders, David Bonner, Architect, the Revd Alaric Lewis, Rector of St George, the Dean of Norwich Very Revd Jane Hedges and Canon John Minns former Priest in Charge of St George.