Follow Us:

Marriage of unbaptised persons

Where neither party is baptised, the practice in the past has been that applications for a licence should be referred to the Bishop. The House of Bishops now supports the view that the lack of baptism of either or both parties should not in itself be a bar to the granting of a licence to enable a wedding to take place in church, and accordingly there is no longer a need to refer an application to the Bishop when neither party is baptised.