Thanksgiving at St Andrew's Eaton
17 June 2018
Sunday 17 June saw the Bishop of Norwich, The Rt Revd Graham James, joining with the Revd Phil Rodd and the congregation at St Andrew’s church for a very special service.The day was one of the key points in St Andrew’s Year of Celebration.
It was 25 years to the very day on Sunday 17 June back in 1993 that, following much prayer, fundraising and planning, the bright, airy extension to the existing medieval building was consecrated and became the New Church.
On this anniversary occasion, among the worshippers were visitors who had played key roles in the creation of this building, including the then vicar and his wife, The Revd Richard and Sheila Hanmer, the architect Nigel Sunter, the lead coordinator of the project Donald Ray, and the treasurer Richard Holcombe.
In his address, Bishop Graham highlighted keys events that were taking place in 1993 including his own consecration as Bishop which took place in February of that year.
So 2018 is a Silver Jubilee year on several levels. However, Bishop Graham also spoke of the many centuries of Christian witness and worship that has taken place at St Andrew’s, and particularly the 700 hundred years since the arrival of the first recorded vicar, Geoffrey de Boton, in 1318.
At the conclusion of the service a buffet lunch was provided in the church hall during which Bishop Graham was presented with Year of Celebration commemorative mugs. There was lively chatter among the diners and much laughter could be heard. A fitting conclusion to a morning of praise, thanks and fellowship.