Follow Us:

Kirby Cane church is situated approximately a mile to the North-west of the village, which since the turn of the century has been bisected by the busy A143 road. It was built in the early 1100s and has a round Tower, although many believe it was built before the Norman Conquest. The porch was added in the late medieval period.

The tower has five bells, the oldest being from 1626. Sadly, these are no longer useable. On the north side of the chancel is a blocked archway that once led to a chapel, with a tomb chest set against it, which is now the Vestry.

The 14th century octagonal font is a fine example and the hexagonal pulpit is Jacobean, dating from the early 1600s. Near the pulpit is the staircase to the former rood loft. The chancel was re-roofed in 1758.

At the entrance to the churchyard are a pair of fine locally-crafted oak gates, given in 2018 in memory of Hilda Wickenden, for many years Churchwarden of Kirby Cane. There is a Commonwealth War Grave from the First World War in the churchyard.