Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) Development
The New SIAMS Framework (September 2023) places spirituality as a golden thread throughout the inspection process and the life of a church school.
The Church of England Vision for Education ‘Life in all its fullness’ offers the opportunity for schools to bring emphasis to the physical, intellectual and emotional development of pupils and adults in the school community. This includes the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of everyone.
For excellent resources download our diocesan booklet SMSC Development: a Christian perspective
- Documents for On Line Support Moral
- Documents for On Line Support Moral card sort
- Documents for On Line Support Social development
- Documents for On Line Support Social card sort
- Documents for On Line Support Cultural development
- Documents for On Line Support Cultural card sort
- Documents for On Line Support – table for self evaluation across subject areas
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Nurturing the health and wellbeing of pupils and adults is essential for human flourishing. The Church of England publication Mental Health and Wellbeing guidance sets out strategies to support schools.
Download the full document:
A further excellent document for supporting wellbeing is the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families booklet
Opportunities for spiritual development throughout the school day are crucial to to nurturing the whole child. Spirituality is an innate human capacity. Spiritual development is not about becoming more spiritual (in a measurable or expansive sense). It is about realising or becoming more and more aware of one’s natural, innate spirituality.
Key questions for schools to consider are:
- How does the school’s Christian vision provide opportunities to meet the spiritual needs of learners?
- How does an awareness of spirituality permeate school life?
- What is the impact of this for the learner (and staff and the wider community)?
- How are staff inducted and supported so that they have a shared understanding of spirituality and spiritual development?
There are many models for spiritual development and the following documents are recommended to support this provision:
- Church of England guidance document: Spiritual Development: Interpretations of spiritual development in the classroom
- Salisbury Diocese progression grids
- Exemplar policy
- A useful list of stories to support spiritual development