Growing Young Leaders
What does it involve?
The course meets monthly, normally in the evening between 6pm and 8.30pm at Diocesan House in Norwich and starting with some food. There is a residential (Fri-Sun) in November at the Horstead Centre and a full day in January.
Young people who are on the course will have a mentor to meet with between sessions. There will also be some simple project work to undertake—such as interviewing a leader in their church.
A recent survey ‘Rooted in the Church of England’ has identified 5 emerging themes as to why and how young people stay engaged in the church as they grow.—two of these are:
- Young people should be treated as equal members of the Church
- Young people want real roles, not tokenism
Growing Young Leaders will equip young people to play an active role in the church and enable you to provide opportunities for them.
What do churches need to do:
- Identify young people (ages 14-17) with leadership potential.
- Ensure the leadership team are committed to supporting them by giving them opportunities within the church.
- Identify an individual mentor (ideally not the youth leader) who will attend a mentor training evening and support the young person through the course.
- Register young people on the course.
Mentoring young leaders really does have the potential to change a generation and renew leadership in both the church and the nation.
A vital part of the Growing Leaders - Youth Edition course is a commitment to provide each young person with a mentor. This is an adult who can meet with them once each month for the duration of the course.
These meetings help the participant think and talk through the learning they are receiving and start to apply it in their own leadership situation. Each session includes some suggestions as to what might be helpful to discuss.
There will be a training session for mentors running in parallel with the first Growing Young Leaders session between 6.30pm and 8.30pm on Tuesday 13 September at Diocesan House, Norwich.
Cost and booking:Diocese of Norwich Churches - no charge Other Churches: £65 (price includes materials and residential fees) Please book in advance.
Contact Jonathan Richardson for more information:
109 Dereham Road
Norwich NR9 5ES
Tel: 01603 882354|