Bishop’s Communications and Events Officer
Posted on: Thursday 24 August 2023 | Bishop's House
Opportunity for a great communications professional to join our team
The Bishop of Norwich is looking for a Communications and Events Officer to support him with a range of communication areas and with organising events that he hosts.
This role is 28 hours per week, primarily Monday – Thursday (though being spread over 5 shorter days will be considered), with some evening and weekend work (which is known well in advance).
The salary is £24,409.60 – pro rata of £30,512 pa (based on a 35 hour week).
For communications the post holder will be the main source of contact between print and broadcast media and the bishop in both reactive and proactive ways to convey the bishop’s priorities and aspects of his ministry. They will work collaboratively with the Diocese’s communication professionals, who are part of the Parish Support Team, to develop a shared high-level Diocesan annual communications plan, coordinating on behalf of the bishop and the two suffragan bishops.
Key responsibilities include:
- preparation, oversight and delivery an annual communications plan for the bishop.
- working closely with the Diocesan Communications Manager and team s
- liaising with national Church of England comms about the bishop’s national work, especially environmental issues and Lords Spiritual work, preparing material for them, or checking their content.
- drafting press releases, articles, statements and quotes where appropriate.
- following the bishop’s social media presence, sharing on diocesan platforms as part of a wider digital strategy, and advising about the development of other platforms.
- being contactable out of hours in the event of an emergency (experience has shown that this has been rarely used).
For events the post holder will work with other Bishop’s House staff to support the bishop with the priorities in his ministry, including organising round table conversations, meetings and conferences, prize-giving and ‘thank you’ events, and visits within the diocese or to external organisations (the chaplain co-ordinates liturgical visits and the PA manages the diary).
Key responsibilities include:
- leading the planning and running of Marquee Week (every two years in June) and coordinating the input of other members of the Bishop’s House staff.
- liaising and networking with a wide range of clergy/experts to enable the above, both within and outside the diocesan organisation, including drawing up guest lists, drafting programmes and preparing briefings.
- liaising with suppliers and caterers for events at Bishop’s House, ensuring that hospitality is offered well, and, working with other Bishop’s House colleagues, to be present, support and serve events (this will include a quarter share in supporting the 10-12 Sunday garden open day events each year)
The full job description and person specification can be downloaded below.
Closing date: 12:00 pm Wednesday 13 September 2023
Interviews: Friday 22 September 2023