SIAMS – Section 48 Inspections
Latest SIAMS update April 2021
Following the announcement by the government on Monday 29 March that routine Ofsted graded inspections will remain suspended until the Autumn term we can confirm that SIAMS Inspections will not resume until the Autumn term of 2021. We will be working with the Department for Education and the other section 48 providers to consider the most effective way of resuming SIAMS inspection and will be in touch with more details about this as we also introduce our new nationally integrated system for SIAMS. SIAMS School Inspections | The Church of England
Relevant new information is available from the Church of England Education Office website.
At the heart of the 2018 SIAMS schedule is the school’s distinctive Christian vision and the core inspection question is:
How effective is the school’s distinctive Christian vision, established and promoted by leadership at all levels, in enabling pupils and adults to flourish?
- SIAMS Evaluation Schedule
- A guide to theological underpinning of the school vision by Pamela Draycott
- A slide to show the elements of a distinctively Christian vision
Every school will also be graded on the impact of Collective Worship.
VA schools will receive a third grade for the effectiveness of RE.
Preparing the Section 48 Self Evaluation Form (SEF) is the joint responsibility of the head teacher and the foundation governors/trustee governors. However, the best examples of impact of the school’s vision are the result of wide consultation including: foundation governors, pupils, parents/carers, members of the local community, the incumbent, members of the local parish and diocesan advisers.
Although an inspector will wish to use the SEF during a section 48 inspection, the document itself is not intended to be completed solely for this purpose; it should form part of the school’s improvement and development process.
As every school is unique, SEFs can look quite different.
Download exemplar SEF templates (in Word format):
SIAMS strand resources
- Christian Aid have produced some excellent resources on the Global Neighbours website to support with developing courageous advocacy
- The Archbishop of York Young Leaders Award is a fantastic opportunity for pupils to develop leadership skills in the context of becoming courageous advocates
- The Diocese offers a SIAMS Health Check Click here for more information
Diocese of Norwich protocols (in PDF format):
If you would like further support with SIAMS or developing your vision, please contact Jon Moule our Distinctiveness and Standards Manager on 01603 882346 or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org