SIAMS – Section 48 InspectionsSIAMS Schedule Amended September 2022
Latest SIAMS updates
The National SIAMS website has been updated for September 2022
Regularly updated relevant new information is available from the Church of England Education Office website. This includes a list of anticipated inspections for the 2022/23 academic year, updated policies and a revised Inspection Schedule. it also contains a report on findings from SIAMS inspections in 2021/22
The National Team have produced an amended short 8-page guidance on how inspections will be conducted, with reference to Covid-19. To access click here.
At the heart of the SIAMS schedule is the school’s distinctive Christian vision and the core inspection question is:
How effective is the school’s distinctive Christian vision, established and promoted by leadership at all levels, in enabling pupils and adults to flourish?
- Revised SIAMS Schedule September 2022
- A guide to theological underpinning of the school vision by Pamela Draycott
- A slide to show the elements of a distinctively Christian vision
Every school will also be graded on the impact of Collective Worship.
VA schools will receive a third grade for the effectiveness of RE.
Preparing the Section 48 Self Evaluation Form (SEF) is the joint responsibility of the head teacher and the foundation governors/trustee governors. However, the best examples of impact of the school’s vision are the result of wide consultation including: foundation governors, pupils, parents/carers, members of the local community, the incumbent, members of the local parish and diocesan advisers.
The SEF should be presented in a summary form of no more than 2 pages for the inspection and it should form part of the school’s improvement and development process. Behind the summary SEF, a school may wish to have a longer document for internal use.
Download exemplar SEF templates (in Word format):
SIAMS strand resources
- Christian Aid have produced some excellent resources on the Global Neighbours website to support with developing courageous advocacy
- The Archbishop of York Young Leaders Award is now a central part of the national Church of England Team and is a fantastic opportunity for pupils to develop leadership skills in the context of becoming courageous advocates
- The Diocese offers a SIAMS Health Check Click here for more information.
- Spirituality is core to the revised schedule and each school is expected to have an agreed definition. See SMSC section for resources, including our diocesan guidance document.
If you would like further support with SIAMS or developing your vision, please contact Chris Allen on 01603 882346 or email him on firstname.lastname@example.org