Developing LGBT+ Inclusion in Church Schools and Academies
Fri 27 Nov at 1.00 pm - 4.00 pm
with Karin Hutchinson.
‘All pupils have a right to an education which enables them to flourish and is set in a learning community where differences of lifestyle and opinion (within that which is permissible under UK law) are treated with dignity and respect; bullying of all kinds is eliminated; and where they are free to be themselves and fulfil their potential without fear’.
‘The Church of England is committed to an education that enables people to live life in all its fullness and fulfils the words of Jesus in John 10:10: “I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly.” Church of England schools have at their heart a belief that all children are loved by God, are individually unique and that the school has a mission to help each pupil to fulfil their potential in all aspects of their personhood’.
‘Schools have a duty to try to remove any factor that might represent a hindrance to a child’s fulfilment. We want all pupils to willingly engage in learning in a safe and welcoming environment’ – Church of England
We know that lots of schools experience challenges in knowing how to develop effective LGBT+ inclusive practice, that is fully compliant with the key legal and moral statutory responsibilities of schools, whilst maintaining and developing the Christian ethos of the school. We fully understand that this concern is rooted in ensuring positive outcomes for the whole school community.
This course will enable delegates to:
• Understand why LGBT+ inclusion is essential to embed, within the context of a CE school
• Clarify the legal framework, Equality Act and Church of England Vision relating to LGBT+ inclusion
• Know how to challenge unhelpful gender stereotypes and effectively address homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying
• Develop confidence in using the ‘Valuing All God’s Children, 2019’ toolkit
• Take a whole-school approach to ensuring an inclusive, welcoming and safe school for all children and families.
Audience: SLT/ Governors/ Teachers/ TA’s/ Pastoral Support Staff (Primary and Secondary)