Online and face-to-face training events.
The Diocese of Norwich is working towards creating a church which is safer for everyone. Active engagement with safeguarding training supports all those who have a role within the Church to effectively recognise and respond to possible abuse and implement best safeguarding practice.
The Church of England’s Practice Guidance: Safeguarding Training & Development, published in July 2019, provides the framework for safeguarding training across all Church of England communities. This also sets out the core safeguarding training modules which are a mandatory requirement for particular Church roles (please see below). The training requirements set out are very ambitious and the programme for the period Autumn 2019-Spring 2020 is designed to achieve a balance between the various competing priorities we are working with.
Sian Griffiths, Diocesan Assistant Safeguarding Advisor (Training Lead)
The Safeguarding Training Programme below includes both online and face-to-face training events.
Safeguarding Training for Clergy with PtO
Further training events may be added at any time, so please do check again periodically if you are unable to manage any of the current dates.
If you have any additional queries please contact:
Booking and general administrative queries:
Brenna Wells at email@example.com or 01603 629001
Any other queries:
C0 Basic Awareness Module
C0 is the basic safeguarding awareness module. This course is required by anyone who will be going on to complete Foundation or Leadership training. It is also available to anyone interested in safeguarding. To access this training go to Church of England’s Safeguarding Training Portal. You will need to register and set up an account before accessing the training – so please follow the instructions on the Safeguarding Training Portal.
If you have any problems with accessing the Safeguarding Training Portal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
C1 Foundation Module
C1 is the foundation safeguarding module, which situates safeguarding in the context of the Church and equips participants with the knowledge and skills to effectively recognise and respond to possible abuse.
This course is required by anyone who has safeguarding responsibilities or has contact in their church role with children, young people and/or adults who may be vulnerable through their role within the Church.
It can be accessed online via Church of England’s Safeguarding Training Portal or through attendance at a C1 training event usually organised within your parish or benefice. The following dates are in addition to these. Please click on the session you are interested in to view whether or not it is currently open for bookings via Eventbrite.
- Thursday 27th February 2020 – 7-9pm – Harvest House, Mulbarton
- Saturday 14th March 2020 – 11am-1pm – All Saints’ Community Rooms, Mundesley
- Wednesday 18th March 2020 – 2-4pm Thursford Methodist Chapel, Fakenham
- Wednesday 25th March 2020 – 2.30-4.30pm – Diocesan House
- Thursday 16th April 2020 – 10am-12noon – Diocesan House
- Thursday 14th May 2020 – 2pm-4pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 2nd June 2020 – 2.30pm-4.30pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 7th July 2020 – 3pm-5pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 8th September 2020 – 2pm-4pm – Diocesan House
- Thursday 8th October 2020 – 2pm-4pm – Diocesan House
- Wednesday 4th November 2020 – 10am-12noon – Diocesan House
C2 Leadership Module
C2 is the leadership safeguarding module, which explores roles in implementing parish safeguarding procedures and responding to serious situations and equips participants with the knowledge and skills to embed healthy parish safeguarding practices. C1 must be completed by participants in advance of attending C2 session.
This course is required by anyone who has safeguarding leadership responsibilities or is leading activities in their church role with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults.
- Saturday 4th April 2020 – 10am-2pm – Christ Church, Eaton
- Thursday 21st May 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Wednesday 24th June 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 21st July 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 22nd September 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Thursday 29th October 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Tuesday 24th November 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
Safeguarding Training for Clergy with PTO
During Autumn 2019 – Spring 2020 there will be a specific focus on C1 and C2 training events for Clergy with PTO. Clergy with PTO should complete both C1 and C2 training if they have not done so already.
C1 Foundation Module for Clergy with PTO
- Further dates to be announced soon
C2 Leadership Module for Clergy with PTO
- Friday 31st January 2020 – 10am-2pm – Norwich Cathedral
- Wednesday 5th February 2020 – 10am-2pm – Norwich Cathedral
- Tuesday 18th February 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
- Wednesday 11th March 2020 – 10am-2pm – Diocesan House
We recognise that you may prefer face-to-face training, and/or struggle to attend one of the training events programmed because of their location.
For this reason C1 and C2 training sessions are being delivered in partnership with the following parishes and benefices across the Diocese for their members. Our current commitments are listed below.
If your parish or benefice is also interested in organising a C1 or C2 training for members, then please contact Nicola King, Safeguarding Training Officer at email@example.com
Parish Training – C1
- Thursday 20th February 2020 – 7pm-9pm – Beeston Village Hall
- Saturday 13th June 2020 – 10am-12noon – St Cuthbert’s Church, Sprowston
Parish Training – C2