National Amenity Societies
In addition to English Heritage, there are a number of other bodies with expertise and interest in church buildings and their heritage.
- Historic Buildings and Places (pre-1715)
- The Council for British Archaeology
- The Georgian Group (1700-1840)
- The Society For the Protection of Ancient Buildings
- The Victorian Society (1837-1914); and
- The Twentieth Century Society (1914 onwards)
Where certain works are proposed to a listed church, the appropriate National Amenity Society will need to be consulted, and their response should be submitted with the faculty application papers to the DAC. Note that several Societies may have an interest, e.g. where a mediaeval church contains Victorian fittings.
The process of consulting the appropriate National Amenity Societies or other consultees is done through the online faculty system, and parishes no longer need to do this themselves. If you have any questions please contact a member of the team.