Food safety law & church activities – a brief guide

Author: David Osborne

Published on: 1 June 2018

Food provided by churches is subject to food law and must be safe to eat.

It can be difficult to understand, and applies regardless of whether food is provided free or for profit. Fortunately there are exemptions for many church activities – often determined by whether registration is required.

What is food registration?

Registration with the Council as a ‘food establishment’ is a simple one-off, process and required 28 days before first use. The need to register is based on ‘the frequency’ and ‘nature’ of the activity. This is open to interpretation:

Registration may not be required for:

  • Church services, followed by tea and biscuits
  • A fete, Lent lunch, or ‘quiz & chips’
  • Bacon rolls served at Messy Church
  • Food bank collections
  • Refreshments during concerts or film shows.

Registration may be required for:

  • A luncheon club
  • A community shop or café
  • Hot food regularly served to homeless or vulnerable people.

Do I need to be trained?

Contrary to popular belief, the Law does not require everyone to attend a food safety course every four years. It simply requires training and supervision appropriate to the food handling undertaken. This is not defined.

So churches should take a sensible approach. For low risk activities, one person might take the lead and ensure that everyone knows what they should be doing. With higher risk foods, formal training of some volunteers is sensible, which can be cascaded to others.

Managing food safety

Food law requires an understanding and management of risks to ensure the food is safe to eat. So think about:

  • What can go wrong?
  • How might it go wrong?
  • What should I do to keep the food safe?

This can be challenging where facilities are shared with mice, bats or swarms of insects!

It sounds complicated, but often simple steps are enough – sanitising work areas, maintaining correct temperatures and not preparing too far in advance.

Use simple checklists for low risk foods, and for higher risk activities, the Food Standards Agency has developed ‘Safer Food Better Business’ for caterers,

What about allergens?

Make sure you know what ingredients have been used, just in case someone with an allergy asks. Never guess, because the consequences can be serious.

Where can I get more help?

If in doubt, ask the Food Safety Team at your District or City Council. Alternatively, contact David Osborne bfobear475@tznvy.pbz

The author...

No Image Found

David Osborne

This article is from...

Articles in this issue...

Twinkling bright in Sheringham

I’m now in my tenth year of ministry in Sheringham and it was soon after my arrival that I thought a Christmas Tree Festival would look wonderful in the light, wide-open spaces of St Peter’s Church.


Orienteering and the Nativity

To mark the season of Advent, Victory Villages and St Mary’s Church, North Elmham last year had a nativity trail.


Classic return of the tea towel!

The Advent and Christmas period in Cawston is a very lively time for the church.


School children involved in Church graffiti

With leaking roofs, rusting downpipes and gutters with large holes, St. John the Baptist Parish Church was urgently in need of repair.


Provisions for the local community

In October 2017 I received a phone call from the Heritage Lottery informing me that our application for urgent repairs and a heritage project focussing on some of the church’s key features had been successful.


Welcome to ‘OUR’ parish

St Mary’s Church likes to give a Welcome Bag to new people moving into the parish of Watton, as a means of introducing the Church and its activities, enclosing other items to welcome the new residents to the community.


Serious about entertaining

The process starts with a visit to your local council office to register your interest, obtain the necessary forms but most importantly seek their help and advice!


No bullrushes, but a catwalk and basket!

Recently I was asked to swap the aisle for the catwalk, I can assure you it was all in a good cause.


Licensing law & church activities – a brief guide

The Licensing Act 2003 may affect some church events, regulating entertainment and the sale of alcohol. Fortunately, it makes exceptions for some occasional activities.


A welcome addition at our event

Having a ‘Temporary Events Notice’ (TENs) allows you to legally sell alcohol on your premises ie church hall/rooms. Without a TENs you cannot sell alcohol, only give it away!


Keep up to date

Subscribe to our eNews for a snapshot of news, events and resources, usually emailed once a fortnight

Signup to newsletter