A welcome addition at our event

Author: The Revd Ruth Lambert

Published on: 1 June 2018

Having a ‘Temporary Events Notice’ (TENs) allows you to legally sell alcohol on your premises ie church hall/rooms. Without a TENs you cannot sell alcohol, only give it away!

At St Catherine’s, Mile Cross, Norwich we have applied for a TEN on two occasions and had no problem obtaining them. One occasion was when a family hired the hall for an engagement party. They had purchased the alcohol but could not withstand the cost of giving it away. A TENs allowed them to legally ‘sell’ it to their guests.

We also had a TENs for our fund raising ‘Black Tie Event’ at which we too purchased the alcohol and sold it to our guests at a ‘good price’ (ensuring it made a bit of profit towards the funds).

TENs are quite straight forward to apply for. Go online (google Temporary Event’s Notice). This will take you to the UK GOV site. All you have to do is put in the postcode of the premises for which you want the licence for. This will give you the details of the council which would be responsible for issuing the licence. From there it is an extremely simple ‘path’ to follow step by step. You can apply online or request the forms to be sent to you. The details of the responsible council will include the telephone number for the licencing department and I had reason to check one or two things out the first time. My experience was that they were very helpful.

There is a small cost for a TENs which is £21.

The author...

No Image Found

The Revd Ruth Lambert

Licensed clergy - Curate OLM (Ordained Local Minister), Mile Cross (Benefice)

This article is from...

Articles in this issue...

Twinkling bright in Sheringham

I’m now in my tenth year of ministry in Sheringham and it was soon after my arrival that I thought a Christmas Tree Festival would look wonderful in the light, wide-open spaces of St Peter’s Church.


Orienteering and the Nativity

To mark the season of Advent, Victory Villages and St Mary’s Church, North Elmham last year had a nativity trail.


Classic return of the tea towel!

The Advent and Christmas period in Cawston is a very lively time for the church.


School children involved in Church graffiti

With leaking roofs, rusting downpipes and gutters with large holes, St. John the Baptist Parish Church was urgently in need of repair.


Provisions for the local community

In October 2017 I received a phone call from the Heritage Lottery informing me that our application for urgent repairs and a heritage project focussing on some of the church’s key features had been successful.


Food safety law & church activities – a brief guide

Food provided by churches is subject to food law and must be safe to eat.


Welcome to ‘OUR’ parish

St Mary’s Church likes to give a Welcome Bag to new people moving into the parish of Watton, as a means of introducing the Church and its activities, enclosing other items to welcome the new residents to the community.


Serious about entertaining

The process starts with a visit to your local council office to register your interest, obtain the necessary forms but most importantly seek their help and advice!


No bullrushes, but a catwalk and basket!

Recently I was asked to swap the aisle for the catwalk, I can assure you it was all in a good cause.


Licensing law & church activities – a brief guide

The Licensing Act 2003 may affect some church events, regulating entertainment and the sale of alcohol. Fortunately, it makes exceptions for some occasional activities.


Keep up to date

Subscribe to our eNews for a snapshot of news, events and resources, usually emailed once a fortnight

Signup to newsletter