The Bishop’s Committee for Books and Documents
The Committee exists to support the preservation of and access to parochial and diocesan books and documents in the Diocese of Norwich.
Terms of Reference
The Committee exists to support the preservation of and access to parochial and diocesan books and documents in the Diocese of Norwich. Preservation work may include repair work, cleaning, storage, packaging and other protective measures. Access work includes digitization, cataloguing, survey work and interpretative work.
It aims to maximise the benefits of its limited resources by prioritizing work and projects which, in the Committee’s opinion
Meet professional standards
- Significantly improve preservation and/or access
- Focus on books and documents which are of historical significance
It achieves this by
- Providing advice on the significance of books and documents
- Giving small grants to projects which meet both its overall aims and strategic objectives.
- Supporting the implementation of the Parochial Register and Records Measure, 1978
- Working in partnership with other organisations
Over recent years, several matters have been raised by Committee members; these are listed below for discussion by Committee. It is suggested that this list be reviewed annually.
- Photographs in churches
- Items at risk
- Storage, cleaning and packaging of Cathedral Library collections
- Consistory court records – conservation, cataloguing and engagement
- Parish magazines
- Digital records – raising awareness of preservation issues
- Recruiting new members to the committee
The current membership of the Committee is:
- Dr Alan Metters (Honorary Research Fellow, UEA) – Chair
- Dr John Alban (Honorary Senior Lecturer, UEA and former County Archivist) – Vice-chair
- Mr Gary Tuson (County Archivist) – Finance officer and Secretary for Documents
- Dr Gudrun Warren (Librarian and Curator, Norwich Cathedral) – Committee Secretary and Secretary for Books
- Revd Edward Bundock (former Rector in Diocese of Norwich)
- Revd Canon Peter Doll (Acting Dean and Canon Librarian, Norwich Cathedral)
- Charles Farrow (Independent Researcher)
- Dr Clare Haynes (former Senior Research Associate, UEA)
- Dr Victor Morgan (Honorary Senior Fellow, UEA)
- Revd Charles Read (Deputy Warden of Readers, Diocese of Norwich and ERMC)