In the Diocese of Norwich, there are 50 branches and over 1000 members, many of whom volunteer in their parishes and beyond.Visit the Mothers' Union Norwich website
The Diocese of Norwich is home to a huge variety of Mothers’ Union members. Many are connected as part of a branch while others connect through Diocesan Membership.
All across Norfolk, members are participating in MU life at local, national and global level.
Here is a snapshot of what goes on:
- Away From It All (A.F.I.A) holidays: An MU project to provide holidays for disadvantage children in the UK.
- Angel Tree: An MU project connected with a local prison, enabling children of prisoners to receive Christmas gifts from their absent parent.
- Cathedral Prayers: On 1st Thursday of every month MU Norwich meets in the Jesus Chapel at Norwich Cathedral for Midday Prayers, each time hosted by a different MU group.
- Loving for Life: An interactive and encouraging relationship workshop, facilitated by trained MU members to help couples build a loving marriage. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Refugee Resettlement: MU members have been involved in many aspects of refugee resettlement, including bed making for their arrival and the provision of gardening equipment.
- 16 Days of Activism: An international campaign against gender-based violence, that takes place each year from 25th Nov – 10th Dec.
Many branches also provide community support through (but not limited to) running toddlers groups, giving out baptism cards and supporting church activities. Fellowship and prayer are a vital and vibrant part of Mothers’ Union in this Diocese.
Contact the Mothers’ Union
If you would like to get involed with Mothers’ Union, and maybe find out how to set up a branch in your parish, please contact the Mothers’ Union office:
Mothers’ Union Office
Diocesan House, 109 Dereham Road, Easton, Norwich, NR9 5ES
Val Ovenden, Diocesan President
Tel: 01603 782466
The Revd Andrew Whitehead, Chaplain
Tel: 01603 872236
Find us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/MothersUnionNorwich
Loving for Life
Working with church ministers across Norfolk, Mothers’ Union offers relationship workshops for couples marrying in church.
In the run-up to a wedding, it’s easy to get caught up with details and this offers an opportunity to take stock and explore close relationships and the building of a lasting marriage and the nurturing of lifelong love.
It’s for everyone whether or not they’ve been in a relationship for years, been married before or have children. Starting with a shared meal, trained facilitators help couples to explore the key relational aspects of marriage such as hopes and expectations, communication, the management of potential areas of conflict (in-laws, family traditions, who does what, etc), the spiritual nature of marriage and suggestions for arrangements on the wedding day itself.
Some comments from couples who have attended Loving for Life workshops:
“It gave us time and space to discuss issues we hadn’t thought about before.”
“We weren’t sure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised! It was more informal and friendly than we anticipated. It felt very welcoming with the lovely meal served to us, and gave us a chance to meet and chat with other couples getting married around the same time as us.”
“We just wanted to express our sincere thanks to you both for what can only be described as a fantastic session last Saturday. We both found it very enjoyable and got a lot from the day. It was lovely to meet all the other couples and share the experience of the workshop with them.”
… and from clergy who have partnered with Loving for Life:
“I was encouraged by the way the couples responded to the topics rasied and the thought and hard-work that had been put into preparing the workshop was evident.”
“I think we can all look forward to seeing Loving for Life go from strength to strength!”