Advising the Bishop on matters of policy and pastoral supervision.
The Bishop’s Council of Trustees is the body in which all lines of Diocesan oversight, leadership and decision-making meet; the Bishop, Bishop’s Staff, the Diocesan Synod and all statutory and non-statutory Diocesan Boards, Committees and working groups.
The Bishop’s Council of Trustees combines four discrete functions:
- The Bishop’s Council. This is the Standing Committee of the Diocesan Synod.
- The Norwich Diocesan Board of Finance (NDBF) which is a charitable company limited by guarantee, registered at Companies House and with the Charity Commission, which are its regulators. NDBF must comply with company and charity law and acts as the board of directors (for company law purposes) and trustees (for charity law purposes) to oversee and manage the day-to-day business of the NDBF. The NDBF exec are accountable to the members of NDBF – who are the members of Diocesan Synod for the governance and oversight of the activities of NDBF, as well as being required to report to and comply to its regulators regarding its obligations under charity and company law.
- The Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committee (DMPC) whose role is to make or assist in making better provision for the cure of souls in the diocese, having regard to worship, mission and community, and taking note of new diocesan priorities and vision.
- The Parsonages Board of the Diocese which holds responsibility for the provision and maintenance of a stock of parsonage houses for incumbents across the diocese, and for overseeing transactions in parsonage properties (purchases, sales, exchanges, disposals of part etc).
Under the constitution of the Diocesan Synod, Bishop’s Council has the following functions:
- To plan the business of the Synod, to prepare the agenda for its sessions and to circulate to members information about matters for discussion;
- To initiate proposals for action by the Synod and to advise it on matters of policy;
- To advise the President on any matter;
- Subject to the directions of the Synod, to transact the business of the Synod when the Synod is not in session;
- Subject to the directions of the Synod, to appoint members of committees or nominate individuals for election to committees;
- To carry out such functions as the Synod may delegate to it.
Meeting Dates 2024
- 24 January 2024
- 19 March 2024
- 25 May 2024
- 30 July 2024
- 28 September 2024
- 26 November 2024
Documents and downloads
Committee members can download documents through the secure area of the website.
Click here to log in and view available files.