Welcome to the governors page.
Your contacts are:
Louise Reeves, Education Support Officer
Tel: 01603 882344
We are able to support and advise you on any matter relating to governance, whether it is the appointment/reappointment of Foundation Governors; reconstitution of governing bodies; federation of governing bodies, recruitment of a new headteacher or other strategic matters.
Information on governance and church schools is available on the Church of England Website. A direct link to the governance pages is available here
- NEW The DfE Governors handbook January 2017 is available to download below.
- NEW Guidance on induction meeting for foundation governors. A copy of some guidance is available to download below
- NEW Support for Church School Goverance leaflet. A copy is available to download below
- NEW requirement for DBS checks for governors. Enhanced DBS checks will shortly be mandatory for all governors. A copy of the instrument is available below. Where a governor has been elected or appointed before 1st April 2016 and does not hold an enhanced DBS certificate, the governing body must apply for a certificate in respect of that governor by 1st September 2016. Where a governor is appointed or elected after 1st April 2016 and does not hold a DBS certificate, the governing body must apply for one within 21 days after his or her appointment or election.
- A governors guide to RE in schools is available to download below. This has been written by our RE Adviser Kathryn Wright
- Working Together: The future of Rural Church of England Schools report was published in October 2014. We are pleased that The Trinity Federation and The Pilgrim Federation are mentioned within this report. It has a useful self review tool for governors. A copy can be downloaded here
- A copy of the Norfolk County Council small schools review is available below
- Reconstitution regulations for schools and federations are available below
Further advice and guidance can be found in the Advice and resources section
DfE Governance handbook January 2017 (.pdf / 1661kb)
Guidance on induction meeting for foundation governors (.pdf / 105kb)
Support for Church School Governance (.pdf / 1176kb)
Governors guide to RE in schools (.pdf / 2030kb)
School constitution regulations September 2012 (.pdf / 301kb)
Federation reconstitution regulations September 2012 (.pdf / 338kb)
NCC Small schools strategy 2013 (.pdf / 215kb)
Appointment of Foundation Governors
We administer, with your clerk to the governing body, the appointment of Foundation Governors. The process is explained in the clerks' section.
Instruments of Government
Every school is required to have an Instrument of Government in relation to their governing body. This is signed and sealed by Legal Services at Norfolk or Suffolk County Councils and shows the total numbers of governors required to form the governing body.
Under the new reconstitution regulations of September 2012 the requirement is as follows:
- a minimum of 2 parents
- 1 Local Authority
- 1 Staff
- 1 Headteacher
- For VC and Foundation school governing bodies there should be a minimum of 2 foundation governors and a maximum of no more than 25% of the total governing body
- For a VA school the foundation governors need to be in a majority of 2.
Governing bodies are able to reconstitute at any time and we are able to advise on this. Once agreed by the Governing Body, you will need to notify the Diocese who will sign off the new instrument before liaising with the relevant Local Authority to arrange for it to be signed and sealed.
The New Free ChildLine Schools Service is a new safeguarding service which seeks to work alongside every primary school nationally and Norfolk to help keep pupils happy and safe. It is available to every school for free on a biannual basis. Details are below.