A historic private four acre formal city centre garden that has belonged to the Bishops of Norwich for over 900 years
The Bishop and his wife kindly open their garden for the use of local charities every summer. In 2012 the Garden helped to raise nearly £18,000 for local charities.
The charities for summer 2013 are:
5 May Big C
12 May Norwich Puppet Theatre
19 May All Saints Centre
2 June Norwich Foodbank
9 June St John's Ambulance
30 June National Garden Scheme
7 July Magdalen Gates Primary School
14 July Priscilla Bacon Lodge
21 July Pregnancy Choices
28 July Norfolk & Norwich Association for the Blind
All events run from 1-5pm with last admissions at 4.30pm. Admission price is £3 per adult with children and wheelchair users admitted free. Refershments are available on each occasion.
One of Norwich's hidden secrets the Bishop's Garden occupies 4 acres in the city centre.
There has been a garden of sorts since around 1100 AD when Bishop de Losinga began to build the cathedral and palace. From the existing garden one can still marvel at the original detailing of Norman stonework on the North Transept of the cathedral which is only visible from the Bishops Garden.
In the early 14th century, Bishop John Salmon greatly increased the size of the garden by compulsory purchase of additional land. He pushed Bishopgate northwards, thereby extending the grounds to their present size. The high walls that still survive were built nearly 700 years ago. He was also responsible for the large hall that was added to a grand porch way. This ruin still stands in the garden and is known as Bishop Salmons Porch.
The visible chapel building that remains at upper lawn terrace was built in around 1662 after Bishop Reynolds had destroyed the original 120ft long chapel and one of the largest halls of its time. Some of the stained glass windows visible today came from the previous building. Now used by Norwich School it is known as Bishop Reynolds Library.
The last of the major medieval buildings in the Bishops Garden was Bishop Alnwicks Gate, started by Bishop Alnwick in the early 1400s and completed by Bishop Lyhart in the mid 1400s.
The general form of the garden was laid down at least 300 years ago. The lower end was cultivated and separated by a wall running straight across the garden. The only remains of this wall are by the large London Plane tree that dominates the garden
The colossal Old Bishops Palace which still stands was completed in around 1860. In 1959 a major change took place when a new Bishops House built and the Old Palace came to be used by Norwich School. The garden was reduced from 6 and half acres down to the present 4 acres. Records show that in the 1940s up to 15 gardeners were employed and in the 1950's 9 were employed. Now the garden is looked after by 1 fulltime and 1 partime gardener.
The garden has many hidden delights for visitors such as the large traditional herbaceous borders, a small woodland walk, boxed rose beds, a long shade border with hostas, meconopsis and tree ferns. Also a large wild grass labyrinth, extensive shrubberies containing many rare and unusual plants, among these being a Hebe planted from a sprig taken from Queen Victoria's wedding bouquet in 1840. There is an organic kitchen garden, bamboo walk, and a popular plant sales area and the garden continues to evolve with new plants and features being introduced year by year.
The Bishop's Garden works in partnership with a number of other organisations. A small volunteer group give help in the Garden and we have also formed links with Easton College, thus helping horticulture students gain valuable experience. In 2012 the herbaceous borders will become the show garden for the Eastern England Group (Anglia) of the Delphinium Society. The garden has also forged links with Harrod Horticultural in showcasing some of their new range of garden structures which were launched at The Chelsea Flower show last year.